- Food Coloring (Any color of your choosing)
- 16 oz clear glass
- Another 16 oz clear glass
- A Fork
- Fill the tall glass almost to the top with room-temperature water.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of oil into the other glass.
- Add 2 drops of food coloring to the glass with the oil.
- Stir the oil into the food coloring using a fork. Stop once you break the food coloring into smaller drops.
- Pour the oil and coloring mixture into the tall glass.
- Now watch! The food coloring will slowly sink in the glass, with each droplet expanding outwards as it falls. Looks like fireworks! Right?
How it Works:
Food coloring dissolves in water, but not in oil. So when you pour in your food coloring/oil mixture the oil will float at the top of the water because it is less dense, and the food coloring will beging to dissolve once they sink through the oil and into the water.
- Try using red and blue as you food coloring, and do one drop of blue and one drop of red when you start to mix the oil and food coloring together.
- Try doing it without the oil and observe and record how the results are different.
- Try using a larger glass, does it change the results?