- 20 oz drinking glass
- Pie Pan
- cardboard toilet paper roll
- Ice (optional)
- Space where your family is okay with you doing the experiment because you may crack a few eggs the first couple of tries
- Fill the glass with water
- Place a pie pan right side up on top of the glass
- Place toilet paper roll vertically in the middle of the pie pan
- Balance egg on top of the toilet paper roll so the egg is lying on it’s side
- Once everything is balanced on top of each other, with one swift and quick motion hit the side of the pie pan with your hand. This is a horizontal swing, not a vertical swing. This needs to be enough force to push it off the glass.
- Watch in amazement as your egg falls into the glass unbroken.
VIDEO COMING SOON BUT YOU CAN STILL ENJOY THESE AWESOME EXPERIMENTS!
How it Works:
It’s all about Inertia! Inertia says an object, the egg in this case, will stay at rest, unless an outside force acts upon it, your hand in this case. When you move the pie pan with your hand, gravity takes over and pulls the egg straight down into the glass of water.
- Try adding food coloring to the water, just for a fun effect.
- Try boiling the egg first, does it still work? Why or why not?
- Don’t use the toilet paper roll, does the experiment still work? Why or why not?
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!