Cool Off Volcanoes
- A bowl
- Golf ball
- Plastic wrap
- Baking Soda
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Knife (adult handling required)
- Put golf ball in an empty bowl.
- Drape plastic wrap over golf ball and bowl so that the golf ball is covered and plastic wrap comes out over the sides of the bowl.
- Make a mixture of water and baking soda that will fill up the rest of your bowl. The mixture is 2/3 water, 1/3 baking soda. You can also add a 3 drops of your favorite food coloring. This mixture will sit on top of the plastic wrap. You want to make sure the mixture covers the golf ball completely.
- Put bowl in freezer.
- Once frozen, let thaw a little. Then, flip over bowl and take out your icy volcano. Use strength, scissors, or your fingers to get plastic wrap off as best as you can. You can let your adult supervisor help you with getting the golf ball out. May want to try using a knife for this part.
- Go outside and use your pipette to do a squirt of vinegar into your icy volcano and see what happens!
VIDEO COMING SOON BUT YOU CAN STILL ENJOY THESE AWESOME EXPERIMENTS!
How it Works:
In science, when you have an acid and a base together, they can erupt in your face. The baking soda in the mixture was the base, and the vinegar is an acid. So when mixed together they have a chemical reaction and release carbon dioxide. Cool! Really Cool!
- Try different sized bowls, does the size affect the eruption?
- Try different shaped bowls, does the shape affect the eruption?
- Don’t freeze the mixture. Just add the vinegar directly to the mixture while it’s still in the bowl. How does the reaction change? Was it faster? Slower? The same speed?
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!