- An Empty Jar and Lid
- White Glitter
- Small Animal Toys, Houses, or Trees to Decorate Snow Globe
- Glue the toys or other decorations to the inside of the lid, making sure the lid can still fit on the jar.
- Fill the jar halfway with glycerin, then fill it almost to the top with water, then stir to mix.
- Add a small amount of glitter. Stir with a spoon to test the ‘snow’ effect, and add more until you get the flurries or blizzard you like.
- Fill the jar up the rest of the way, until the water is just above the top of the jar.
- Gently put the lid on and screw it securely to the jar.
- Wipe any water off the jar, and put some hot glue or tape around the lid.
- Enjoy your snow globe!
How does it work?
Glycerin has a very high viscosity. Viscosity is how ‘thick’ a liquid is, how easily it pours. Honey and syrup have pretty high viscosities, water and rubbing alcohol have very low viscosities. Having a mixture of water and glycerin means the liquid inside your snow globe slows the glitter down as gravity pulls it down. This helps it look more like snow.
Science Fun For Everyone: Science Explorer Kit
You can now enjoy the excitement and educational entertainment of a Science Fun For Everyone Science Camp in the comfort of your own home! The Science Fun For Everyone: Science Explorer kit was designed and hand packed by the scientists at the Science Fun For Everyone laboratories in Cary, North Carolina. Each experiment was specifically chosen to not only educate, but excite. The student will explore chemical reactions, super absorbent polymers, rocks and minerals, weather, space, the oceans, crystals, slime and much much more! Please click here or on the images below to view our science kit on Amazon.