- An Empty Jar and Lid
- White Glitter
- Small Animal Toys, Houses, or Trees to Decorate Snow Globe
- Glue the toys or other decorations to the inside of the lid, making sure the lid can still fit on the jar.
- Fill the jar halfway with glycerin, then fill it almost to the top with water, then stir to mix.
- Add a small amount of glitter. Stir with a spoon to test the ‘snow’ effect, and add more until you get the flurries or blizzard you like.
- Fill the jar up the rest of the way, until the water is just above the top of the jar.
- Gently put the lid on and screw it securely to the jar.
- Wipe any water off the jar, and put some hot glue or tape around the lid.
- Enjoy your snow globe!
How does it work?
Glycerin has a very high viscosity. Viscosity is how ‘thick’ a liquid is, how easily it pours. Honey and syrup have pretty high viscosities, water and rubbing alcohol have very low viscosities. Having a mixture of water and glycerin means the liquid inside your snow globe slows the glitter down as gravity pulls it down. This helps it look more like snow.