How to make a Volcano
- 10 ml of dish soap
- 100 ml of cold water
- 400 ml of white vinegar
- Food coloring
- Baking soda slurry (fill a cup about ½ with baking soda, then fill the rest of the way with water)
- Empty 2 liter soda bottle
NOTE: This should be done outside due to the mess.
- Combine the vinegar, water, dish soap and 2 drops of food coloring into the empty soda bottle.
- Use a spoon to mix the baking soda slurry until it is all a liquid.
- Eruption time! … Pour the baking soda slurry into the soda bottle quickly and step back!
How it Works:
A chemical reaction between vinegar and baking soda creates a gas called carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is the same type of gas used to make the carbonation in sodas. What happens if you shake up a soda? The gas gets very excited and tries to spread out. There is not enough room in the bottle for the gas to spread out so it leaves through the opening very quickly, causing an eruption!
1. Does the amount of vinegar change the eruption?
2. Does the amount of water change the eruption?
3. Does the amount of baking soda change the eruption?
Suggested Kits for Home Expirements:
We encourage families to explore home science projects with your kids. We have suggested a few kits that we at SFFE believe you and your children would have a great bonding experience and explore science together, these kits are ones we believe would be good home projects and can be purchased through Amazon. Click on the images or the title to open the direct link where you can read in more detail about these kits and can be purchased on Amazon. Mobile users you may need to turn your phone into landscape view to see both columns of the kits.
|Learning Resources Erupting Volcano Model|
- Get kids fired up about science with an erupting volcano. Teach earth science
- Detailed cross-section shows the inside of the volcano
- Includes an easy-to-prepare lava recipe, a 13" clear plastic tray and a removable tube that allows for quick clean up, and a fact filled activity guide
|The Magic School Bus-Blasting Off With Erupting Volcanoes
- Educational & fun for kids
- Encourages creative learning. Kit has everything you need.
- The magic school bus science kit
- Ms. Frizzle and her students take child on a science field trip. Comes with a great volcano poster and stickers 20 page colorful illustrated manual with a guide for the adult. Real volcanic rock included
|Volcano Science Kit by National Geographic|
- COMPLETE SCIENCE KIT – Includes absolutely everything you need to create a volcano, paint it, and even make it erupt!
- MAKING SCIENCE FUN – The perfect hands-on experiment for any science fair. Includes National Geographic’s learning guide so you can write an A+ report
- REAL VOLCANIC ROCKS – Includes pumice and a geode specimen. Learn all about each unique volcanic specimen
|BOOM! Combustion Science Kit with 25 Experiments
- Discover the excitement of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math with 25 Hands-on Experiments.
- STEM at Play® kits bring science concepts to life through hands-on activities.
- Make rockets from a chemical reaction or a balloon, make fizzy bombs, make a fun explosive bag, and create a color explosion.
- The fact-filled colorful lab guide is chock-full of pictures and information for hours of fun in your own combustion lab!
- Please note: You may need additional household materials for these experiments.
|Discover with Dr. Cool Ultimate Volcano Science Kit|
- Make a volcano erupt and collect 3 real volcanic specimens (pumice, obsidian arrowhead and a geode)
- Ultimate kit includes: 7" ceramic volcano, paints, brush, eruption powder, lava coloring and 3 real specimens
- Perfect science fair project or gift for kids 6-12 that are interested in volcanoes, earth science or geology
- Full-Color Info and Activity guides were written by teachers are filled with cool science facts about volcanoes and puzzles to solve
- Winner of Gold Award from Family Review Center, Kids Product of the year from Creative Child Magazine and Seal of Approval from the Toy Directory