Trap A Tornado Cool Science Experiment
In this fun and easy cool science experiment, we’re going to trap a tornado in a bottle.
- Two 2-liter plastic soda bottles
- Metal washer
- Duct tape
- Glitter, beads, food coloring
- Fill one of the bottles about three quarters of the way with water.
- Add any glitter, beads, and food coloring you want to the water. Be sure the beads are small enough to easily fit through the center of the washer.
- Center the washer over the mouth of the bottle with water.
- Now position the empty bottle upside down so its mouth is centered over the washer.
- Use the duct tape to secure the bottles together.
- Flip the bottles over so the empty one is on the bottom and observe what happens.
- Flip the bottles one more time, but this time give the bottles a swirl and observe what happens.
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
When the bottles are flipped and positioned directly above one another, the water has a difficult time transitioning from the top bottle into the bottom bottle. When you twirl the bottles, a vortex is created that allows for an easier exchange of water and air between the bottles.
Make This A Science Project:
Add small items to the water like Styrofoam beads. Add sugar or salt to the water. Use vegetable oil instead of water. Try different sized washers. Try different sized bottles.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!