Talking String Sound Science Experiment
In this fun and easy sound science experiment, we’re going to explore and investigate sound by making a string talk. This is a very easy sound experimentation activity to perform that helps visualize different sounds associated with different vibrations. Have fun making all kinds of fun sounds with your talking string contraption.
- 24 inches of string
- Two hole button
- Thread the string through the button holes and center the button on the string.
- Hold one end of the string in each hand.
- Allow a little slack and start spinning the button.
- After a few spins, pull the string tight.
- Alternate between allowing slack and spinning the button to pulling the string tight. You should hear the string make noise or “talk.”
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
As the button spins, it vibrates. The vibrations are sound waves that travel to your ears and are heard as sound. By adjusting the speed at which the button spins, and the tautness of the string, you are able to create different sounds by altering the vibrations created by the button.
Make This A Science Project:
Use different types of string. Try larger and smaller buttons. Replace the button with other materials like cardboard. Try different lengths of string.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!