Secret Message Chemical Reaction Science Experiment
In this fun and easy science experiment for kids, we’re going to write secret messages and reveal them with a chemical reaction.
- 2 Saucers
- Measuring spoons
- Lemon juice
- Sheet of printer paper
- Cotton swabs
- Paint brush
Adult supervision and assistance is required as Iodine is used.
- Mix two tablespoons of water and two tablespoons of lemon juice in a saucer.
- In another saucer, mix two tablespoons of water with a few drops of iodine.
- Dip a cotton swab into the lemon juice mixture and write a secret message on the paper towel.
- Allow the message to dry completely. It will disappear once dry.
- When you are ready to read the message, dip the clean brush into the iodine mixture and brush it over the paper. The message will appear in a dark ink color.
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
Paper contains starch, which turns purple when it reacts with iodine. Lemon juice stops the color change so the areas where the message has been written remains white.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different types of paper. Try vinegar. Try other acidic fruit juices.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!