Rotten Banana Balloon Kitchen Science Experiment
In this fun and easy kitchen science experiment, we’re going observe a banana rotting and deteriorating while also using it to blow up a balloon.
- Plastic water bottle
- A very ripe banana
- Peel the banana and smash it with a spoon until it is mushy and has no lumps.
- Use the spoon to work the banana much into the bottle. It may take a little patience but it can be done.
- Blow up the balloon and let the air out. This will help stretch out the balloon.
- Place the balloon over the opening of the bottle.
- Put the bottle in a warm sunny spot.
- Observe the banana mush and balloon over the next several days.
How it Works:
While the banana rots and decomposes, it gives off gases. These gases are trapped inside the bottle and eventually build up enough pressure to begin inflating the balloon.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different fruits. Try putting the experiment in a dark and cool place. Try adding sugar to the bottle. Try adding vinegar.