Rainbow Celery Color Science Experiment
In this fun and easy color science experiment for kids, we’re going to make rainbow colored celery.
- Food coloring
- Place the jars out in a nice organized row in a place where the will not be disturbed for a couple days.
- Fill each jar or drinking glass about halfway full with water.
- Now add a different colored drop or two of food coloring to each jar.
- Put one stalk of celery into each jar.
- Check on your celery every few hours over the next several days and write down your observations.
How it Works:
The celery uses capillary action to pull water up from the soil and into the plant. In this experiment, the food coloring attaches to the water molecules and travels up into the celery stalk. Xylems are the small tubes in the celery that carry the water up into the celery.
Make This A Science Project:
Try this experiment with white carnations. Try this experiment in direct sunlight. Try putting this experiment in the refrigerator.