Mystical Mustard Packet Magic Science Experiment
In this fun and easy magic science experiment, we’re going to make a mustard packet act in mystical and seemingly magical ways using a little bit of science and a whole lot of fun.
- Mustard or other condiment packet
- Small bowl
- Two liter soda bottle with cap
- Fill the small bowl with water.
- Test the mustard packet to see if it floats. Keep testing packets until you find one that floats.
- Place the mustard packet that floats into the two liter bottle.
- Fill the bottle all the way to the rim with water a tightly secure the cap.
- The packet should be floating at the top of the bottle.
- Squeeze the bottle firmly with both hands. The packet should sink.
How it Works:
They are tiny air bubbles in the packet of mustard. When you squeeze the bottle, the air pressure in the bottle increases. The increased air pressure compacts the air bubbles in the mustard packet and makes the packet more dense. This then causes the mustard packet to sink. When you release the bottle, the air pressure in the bottle lessens, causing the air bubbles in the packet to become less compacted and less dense which will allow the packet to float again.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different types of condiment packets. Try different sized and shaped bottles. Try adding salt to the water. Try different temperatures of water.