Mystical Magnetic Field Electricity And Magnetism Science Experiment
In this fun and easy electricity and magnetism science experiment, we’re going to see if we can see and investigate the mystical magnetic field.
- Work gloves
- Steel wool
- Some old scissors
- Two pieces of paper
- Bar magnet
- Wearing your gloves, use the scissors to cut the steel wool into small thin threads over a sheet of the paper.
- Place the bar magnet on a table.
- Center the other piece of paper over the bar magnet.
- Gently pour the steel wood threads onto the paper with the magnet underneath.
- Now gently pound on the table and observe the movement of the steel wool threads.
How it Works:
The fragments of steel wool are mostly made of iron. The magnetic field essentially turns each fragment into miniature bar magnets. The north pole of each fragment then attracts the south poles of nearby fragments. This process repeats over and over. This creates chains of filings that align themselves and parallels the magnetic field allowing you to visualize the magnetic field.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different types of magnets. Try different sizes of magnets.