Make An Underwater Volcano Ocean Science Experiment
In this fun and easy ocean science experiment, we’re going to make an underwater volcano to explore and investigate.
- Sink – An aquarium works great for this experiment if you have one available.
- Ice cubes
- Glass bottle
- Several bolts
- Red food coloring
- Put a plug in the sink and fill it with cold water. You can also add several ice cubes.
- Carefully put several bolts or marbles into the glass bottle to act as weights.
- Fill the bottle with hot water.
- Add a drop or two of red food coloring.
- Set the bottle in the sink and enjoy your underwater volcano.
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
Heat rises so the hot water will flow up and out of the bottle creating an underwater volcano effect. You will be able to see the eruption because you added red food coloring to the hot water. Volcanos beneath the surface of the ocean can create volcanic islands. The lava flows on the seafloor can harden and build up over millions of years. These underwater mountains can grow and eventually breach the surface of the ocean thus becoming volcanic islands.
Make This A Science Project:
Try adding salt to the water in the bottle and observe any differences in behavior. Try adding cold water to the bottle and hot water to the sink.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!