Make A Mini Hovercraft Balloon Science Experiment
In this fun and easy science experiment, we’re going to use a balloon to make a mini hovercraft.
- CD or DVD
- Plastic pop cap from a bottle of liquid dish soap
- Duct tape
- Tape the pop top over the center hole in the CD. Tape it securely so no air can escape around the edges.
- Push the pop top down so it is closed.
- Inflate the balloon and twist the end so the air does not escape.
- Fit the balloon over the pop top. Make sure the balloon is centered and upright over the pop top.
- Place the hovercraft on a smooth flat surface and open the pop top.
- Give the hovercraft a gentle tap and observe what happens.
How it Works:
As the air escapes from the hole in the center of the CD it creates a thin cushion of air. This cushion of air reduces the friction between the CD and surface allowing the CD hovercraft to easily float around.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different surfaces. Try replacing the dish soap cap with a water bottle cap and make different sized holes in the water bottle cap. Try different sized balloons.