Make A Crystal Garden Science Experiment
In this fun and easy crystal science experiment, we’re going to grow a crystal garden.
Note: Since hot water in involved, please insure adult supervision is utilized.
- Epsom salt
- Hot water
- Clear glass jar
- Measuring cups
- Small pom-poms
- Add one cup of Epsom salts to the jar.
- Next add one cup of very hot tap water to the jar and mix thoroughly. It is fine if there is some undissolved salt in the bottom of the jar.
- Drop is some pom-poms and mix them into the mixture.
- Put the jar in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, pour off the excess liquid and observe your crystals.
- You can carefully handle your crystals but be aware they are delicate and may crumble.
How it Works:
The Epsom salts dissolve in the heated water. As the water cools, it becomes less able to hold the Epsom salts. The Epsom salts then clings to the pom-poms and forms crystals.
Make This A Science Project:
Experiment with different types of solutions and observe and record any differences in the rate of crystals creation. Some ideas may be table salt, Borax, or sugar (do not eat).