Magic Magnetic Needle Electricity And Magnetism Science Experiment
In this fun and easy electricity and magnetism science experiment we are going magnetize a needle and create a compass.
- Plastic bowl or dish
- Bar of Ivory soap. You can use other brands of soap as long as the bar of soap floats.
- Long sewing needle
- Fill your plastic bowl about halfway up with water.
- Rub your needle back and forth against the magnet for about thirty seconds.
- Now, place the needle onto the bar of soap and then place the bar of soap gently into the water.
- The needle, now that it is magnetized will orient itself North and South. You have created a compass!
How it Works:
Rubbing the needle with the magnet will magnetize the needle giving it a North and South pole. With magnets, opposites attract. Earth’s South magnetic pole is located near Earth’s geographic north. The is why your the North end of your needle will point toward the Earth’s geographic north.
Make This A Science Project:
Try to magnetize different types of items like small nails and paper clips. Try holding batteries or other metal items near your magnetized needle and observe any changes. Try floating your magnetized needle in a metal bowl or pan. Try magnetizing the metal bowl or pan.