Fingerprints are very small and hard to explore and investigate. In this fun little science experiment you will use a balloon to expand your fingerprint to gigantic proportions so you can see the arches, whirls, loops and more.
- Ink pad
- Stretch your balloon several times so it is easy to blowup.
- Lay the balloon on the table and flatten an area big enough to fit a fingerprint making sure there are no creases in the balloon.
- Press your finger into the ink.
- Now press your inked finger onto the balloon.
- Gently roll your finger to capture your entire fingerprint.
- Blow up the balloon and tie it off.
- Enjoy inspecting your Giant Fingerprint.
How it Works:
When the balloon inflates, the image of your fingerprint stretches out and grows. This allows an opportunity to inspect your fingerprint.
Make This A Science Project:
Can you imprint other things on the balloon that enlarge in the same way as the fingerprint? Do other types of paints act in the same way as the ink?