Floating Water Density Science Experiment
In this fun and easy density science experiment for kids, we’re going to see if water floats.
- Measuring cups
- Narrow glass or vase
- Corn syrup
- Bleach (handle cautiously and only with adult supervision)
- Vegetable oil
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Mix a couple drops of red food coloring with 1 cup of corn syrup.
- Pour into the glass.
- Now add 1 cup of vegetable oil to the glass.
- Now add several drop of blue food coloring to ½ cup of water.
- Pour the blue water into the glass.
- Allow the liquids to settle. You should soon have three distinct layers.
- Now, carefully add ½ cup of bleach into the glass and observe what happens.
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
The liquids have different densities and appear to sit atop one another. After some time, the bleach will turn the blue water a milky color. More interesting is that the bleach has the same density as the water.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different types of oil. Try different types of syrup. Add salt to the experiment.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!