Flameproof Balloon Easy Science Experiment
In this fun and easy science experiment we are going to use science to create a flameproof balloon.
Important: An adult’s assistance is required for this experiment as flames and matches are involved.
- 2 balloons
- Matches or lighter
- Cold water
- Tea light or small candle
- Blow up one of the balloons and tie off the end. Do not blow up the other balloon at this time.
- Have an adult light the candle.
- Hold the balloon over the flame and observe what happens.
- Now add a few ounces of the cold water to the second balloon.
- Blow up the balloon and tie off the end.
- Slowly lower the balloon toward the flame and observe what happens.
How it Works:
The water absorbs the heat from the flame which momentarily allows the balloon to appear flameproof. The water will eventually get warm enough that is can no longer successfully absorb enough heat which will result in the balloon popping.
Make This A Science Project:
Try adding salt to the water. Try adding different amounts of water to the balloon. Try adding water beads to the balloon (Be sure to perform your experiment over a tray in case the balloon pops to keep the water beads from going everywhere!)