Film Canister Popper Cool Science Experiment
In this fun and easy cool science experiment for kids, we’re going to make a popper using an old film canister and a chemical reaction.
- White plastic film canister
- Alka-Seltzer tablet
- Safety glasses
- Gather your supplies and go outside. Be sure to put your safety googles on and be prepared as this reaction occurs quickly.
- Break the Alka-Seltzer tablet in half.
- Add a teaspoon of water into the film canister.
- Drop the half of Alka-Seltzer tablet into the canister. Quickly put the lid back on, make sure it is securely snapped on, and place the canister on the ground with the lid toward the ground. Remember to do this entire step very quickly.
- Now move at least ten feet away from the experiment and wait.
- In a few seconds you will hear a loud ‘Pop!’ and the canister will fly into the air.
- If your rocket does not fire, wait a few minutes and any built up gas will dissipate before investigating your canister.
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
When an acid and a base are combined a chemical reaction occurs. The Alka-Seltzer tablet contains citric acid which is an acid and sodium bicarbonate which is a base. When water is added, the two ingredients are allowed to mix and the chemical reaction begins. A result of the chemical reaction is carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide builds up and creates pressure in the film canister which cause it to pop!
Make This A Science Project:
Try different containers like a condiment cup with a lid or a Mini M&Ms container. Try baking soda and vinegar. Try lemon juice and vinegar.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!