Expanding Air Balloon Science Experiment
In this fun and easy science experiment, we’re going to explore and investigate air by making a balloon expand and contract.
- Two containers – each needs to be big enough to hold a two liter soda bottle
- 2 liter soda bottle
- Fill one container with hot water from the tap. Please do not use boiling water.
- Fill the other container with ice and then add cold water.
- Blow up the balloon and stretch it out to make it flexible.
- Now, place the stretched out balloon over the mouth of the soda bottle.
- Place the battle in the hot water and watch the balloon slowly start to expand.
- Now, remove the bottle from the hot water and place it in the ice container. The balloon will deflate and contract.
- Repeat as many times as you like!
How it Works:
As the air molecules inside the balloon are heated up, they expand and inflate the balloon. In contrast, as the air molecules are cooled, they condense and become more compact and deflate the balloon.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different sized bottles. Try different sized balloons.