Easy Oobleck Excavation
- Corn Starch
- Container or tray
- Small dinosaurs or other items to be excavated
- Blunt instrument or tool to use to dig in the Easy Oobleck Excavation
- Optional – Bath coloring tablets
- Optional – Put a bath coloring tablet in the water. Avoid food coloring as it stains hands and is hard to remove.
- Use your hands to mix about two cups of cornstarch with one cup of water in the tray.
- Push several dinosaurs or your preferred items to be excavated into the oobleck. Plastic items tend to float a little so be sure to check back a time or two and push them down into the oobleck.
- Place the container of oobleck in front of a fan to dry overnight.
- Make sure the Easy Oobleck Excavation has dried.
- Use the tool to scrape away and excavate the dried oobleck and uncover the treasures inside.
- Once all the items have been discovered, the Easy Oobleck Excavation can be reconstituted with water and the oobleck can be enjoyed.
How it Works:
The corn starch and water mixture we call Outrageous Oobleck is a non-Newtonian as it can act as a liquid or solid. Allowing Outrageous Oobleck to flow through your fingers will act as a liquid but a quick force on oobleck will cause it to behave as a solid. Once the moisture evaporates, the cornstarch binds together forming the excavation material and trapping the items inside.
Make This A Science Project:
What happen when you increase the water to corn starch ratio? What happens if you use a different liquid than water? What happens if you introduce another ingredient such as dish soap or baking soda?