Easy Oobleck Excavation
- Corn Starch
- Container or tray
- Small dinosaurs or other items to be excavated
- Blunt instrument or tool to use to dig in the Easy Oobleck Excavation
- Optional – Bath coloring tablets
- Optional – Put a bath coloring tablet in the water. Avoid food coloring as it stains hands and is hard to remove.
- Use your hands to mix about two cups of cornstarch with one cup of water in the tray.
- Push several dinosaurs or your preferred items to be excavated into the oobleck. Plastic items tend to float a little so be sure to check back a time or two and push them down into the oobleck.
- Place the container of oobleck in front of a fan to dry overnight.
- Make sure the Easy Oobleck Excavation has dried.
- Use the tool to scrape away and excavate the dried oobleck and uncover the treasures inside.
- Once all the items have been discovered, the Easy Oobleck Excavation can be reconstituted with water and the oobleck can be enjoyed.
WATCH THE QUICK AND EASY VIDEO TUTORIAL
How it Works:
The corn starch and water mixture we call Outrageous Oobleck is a non-Newtonian as it can act as a liquid or solid. Allowing Outrageous Oobleck to flow through your fingers will act as a liquid but a quick force on oobleck will cause it to behave as a solid. Once the moisture evaporates, the cornstarch binds together forming the excavation material and trapping the items inside.
Make This A Science Project:
What happen when you increase the water to corn starch ratio? What happens if you use a different liquid than water? What happens if you introduce another ingredient such as dish soap or baking soda?
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!