Easy Film Canister Rocket
- Plastic film canister with lid
- Alka-Seltzer tablet
- Tray or flat bottom container
- Safety Glasses
- Fill the film canister about one-third of the way full with water.
- Make sure you are wearing your safety glasses.
- Break one Alka-Seltzer tablet in half.
- Drop the half of the Alka-Seltzer tablet in the water and quickly put the lid on the film canister.
- While still moving quickly, flip your Film Canister Rocket over and set it on its lid in the tray.
- Step away and watch.
- Your Film Canister Rocket should launch in a few seconds.
How it Works:
The water dissolves the Alka-Seltzer tablet causing carbon dioxide gas to be released. The gas creates pressure in the film canister and will eventually create enough pressure that your Film Canister Rocket will launch.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different amounts of Alka-Selzer to see if it causes the Film Canister Rocket to launch higher or quicker. Try different liquids other than water. Try hot and cold water.