Easy DIY Electromagnet Electricity And Magnetism Science Experiment
In this fun and easy electricity and magnetism science experiment we are going to show you how to build an electromagnet.
- Large nail
- 6 volt lantern battery
- 2 alligator clips
- Wire strippers
- Insulated piece of copper wire (about 18 gauge)
- Small metal items like screws, washers, paper clips, etc.
- Strip a small section of the insulation from the ends of the copper wire.
- Wrap the copper wire around the nail.
- Attached the stripped end of the copper wire to the alligator clips.
- Connect the alligator clips to the 6 volt lantern battery.
- Test the nail to see if it is magnetic by holding it near the small metal items.
How it Works:
The electric field in the coiled wire creates a magnetic field around the nail. The magnetized nail will be able to attract metal items.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different sized nails. Try to turn other metal items like bolts or metal tubing into electromagnets. Test different gauges of copper wire. Test different sizes of batteries.