Do Oil And Water Mix Density Science Experiment
In this fun and easy density science experiment for kids, we’re going to see if oil and water mix.
- Empty plastic bottle
- Food coloring
- Cooking oil
- Dish washing liquid
- Add ½ cup of water to the empty plastic bottle.
- Add a drop or two of food coloring to the water.
- Add ½ cup of cooking oil to the plastic bottle.
- Screw the lid onto the bottle and shake vigorously.
- Set the bottle down and observe what happens.
How it Works:
This is a great activity to observe density in action. As the bottle sits undisturbed after shaking, density will quickly take over and the oil will make its way past the more dense water toward the top of the bottle.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different types of oil. Try adding salt to the experiment. Try warm water. Try adding a drop of dish soap.