Cup Of Lava Cool Science Experiment
In this fun and easy science experiment, we’re going to make a cool looking cup of lava and explore density.
- Clear plastic cup or glass
- Vegetable oil
- Red food coloring
- Fill up the clear plastic cup about three quarters of the way full with water.
- Now add about five drops of the red food coloring to the water.
- Slowly add one quarter of a cup of the vegetable oil into the glass.
- Sprinkle the salt on top of the oil.
- Now observe as the oil moves up and down in the cup.
- Feel free to add more salt to keep the vegetable oil moving!
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
The vegetable oil is less dense than water and floats on the water. The salt is heavier than water. When the salt is sprinkled across the vegetable oil it sinks carrying a little blob of vegetable oil with it. Once the salt reaches the water, it dissolves, releasing the vegetable oil which rises back toward the surface. This action creates the cool bubbling lava in a cup effect.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different types of oil such as baby oil. Try sugar as a substitute for salt. Try different temperatures of water.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!