Crazy Cornstarch Quicksand Sensory Science Experiment
In this quick and easy sensory science experiment, we will create a super cool and fun to play with Non-Newtonian fluid we call Crazy Cornstarch Quicksand. A Non-Newtonian fluid gets more viscous or thick when force is applied and less viscous or fluid when that force is removed. This awesome substance simulates real quicksand in that it is easy to sink into but more difficult to pull free from as it attempts to harden around your hands.
- A large bowl
- Food coloring
- Wood spoon
- Optional – Slotted spoons, strainers, and other kitchens utensils that can be used to explore the Crazy Cornstarch Quicksand.
- Find an area that can get a little messy and is easy to clean up.
- Mix 2 parts cornstarch with 1 part water. For example, if you have 2 cups of cornstarch, mix it with 1 cup of water.
- Add a few drops of food coloring just for fun. You may want to add the food coloring to the water before mixing for an easier distribution of color. Also, food coloring can stain hands so you may choose to substitute washable paint.
- You can use the wooden spoon to stir the mixture but it can be difficult. Feel free to just use your hands and enjoy the strange sensory experience.
- Have fun exploring your Crazy Cornstarch Quicksand. Make it into balls, let it flow through your fingers, and use kitchen utensils to enjoy this strange and fascinating substance.
- You can store the Crazy Cornstarch Quicksand in a lidded container to enjoy later. If disposing, please do so in the trash as it can clog sinks. Another cool idea is to hide a few plastic toy dinosaurs in the substance and allow it to dry to create a cool dinosaur dig. Once the items have been excavated and discovered, add a little water and you have Crazy Cornstarch Quicksand again!
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
When the water and cornstarch mix, the starchy cornstarch grains become suspended in the water. When you apply pressure to the Crazy Cornstarch Quicksand, it forces the cornstarch together and traps the water molecules, temporarily transforming into a semi-solid substance.
Make This A Science Project:
Test different liquids. Add things like dish soap to the mixture. Try other materials like baking soda to see if you can create other Non-Newtonian liquids. Test to see if the Crazy Cornstarch Quicksand behave in others ways at different temperatures.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!