Compass Challenge Electricity And Magnetism Science Experiment
In this fun and a bit challenging electricity and magnetism science experiment, we’re going to perform a compass challenge by attempting to balance a horseshoe magnet on a pencil tip.
- Ball of modeling clay
- Horseshoe magnet
- Very sharp pencil with an eraser
- Form the modeling clay into a ball.
- Push the eraser end of the pencil into the modeling clay.
- Make sure the pencil is securely in the clay and pointed straight up and down.
- Balance the horseshoe magnet onto the sharp end of the pencil.
- The magnet will slowly orient itself into a north-south direction.
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
The north pole of the horseshoe magnetic will attract to Earth’s geographic North. The reason for this is that the Earth’s south magnetic pole is located near the Earth’s geographic north, and the opposite magnet poles attract. In this challenge, if your are able to balance the horseshoe magnet, you will be able to watch the magnet orient itself and essentially act as a compass.
Make This A Science Project:
Try the compass challenge in a metal pan. Try a bar magnet.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!