Colorful Crystals Science Experiment
In this fun and easy science experiment, we’re going to explore and investigate colors by making some awesome colorful crystals.
- Several glass jar
- Epsom salts
- Various colors of food coloring
- Very warm tap water
- Measuring cups
- Add 1/2 cup of Epsom salts to the jar.
- Add a couple drops of food coloring.
- Carefully add 1/2 cup of very hot tape water to the jar and stir for one minute. Do not worry if there are some undissolved Epsom salts in the bottom of the jar.
- Repeat for each color of crystals you want to create.
- Put in the refrigerator for four hours or more.
- Once your crystals have grown, carefully pour off any excess water.
- Place your crystals in a windowsill and enjoy the wonderful colors.
How it Works:
The Epsom salts dissolve in the water creating a saturated solution. As the water cools, the salt is slowly pushed out of the solution and crystals begin to form and grow.
Make This A Science Project:
Try altering the ratio of water to Epsom salts. Try leaving the solution undisturbed for an extended period of time.