Coin In A Cup Force And Motion Science Experiment
In this fun and easy force and motion science experiment for kids, we’re going to examine inertia by experimenting with a coin and a cup.
- Plastic cup
- Playing card
- Place the cup upright on a table.
- Now place the playing card over the opening of the cup.
- Put the coin on top of the card.
- Grab the edge of the playing card, and pull it quickly.
- The coin should fall into the cup as opposed to flying across the room.
How it Works:
The coin wants to remain at rest because it has inertia. If you try to slowly pull the card away, you can not overcome that force and the coin will remain on the card. If you pull the card away quickly, the coin will stay in one place for a split nanosecond before gravity takes over and the coin falls into the cup.
Make This A Science Project:
Try placing objects of different sizes, shapes, and weights on the playing card. Try things other than a playing card that have different textured surfaces. Try removing the playing card at different speeds.