Coin Drop Cool Science Experiment
In this fun and easy cool science experiment for kids, we’re going to see if we can drop a coin in a bottle.
- Bottle with a large enough opening for the quarter to fall inside.
- Eight inch square piece of cardboard
- Set the bottle on solid surface.
- Balance the piece of cardboard on the bottle.
- Now put the coin on the cardboard being sure to center it over the mouth of the bottle.
- With your middle finger, flip the cardboard quickly off of the bottle.
- The coin should drop down into the bottle.
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
The quarter has inertia, so it will want to stay in one place. If you pull the cardboard slowly, you will not overcome that force and the quarter will simply stay on the cardboard. If you remove the cardboard quickly, the quarter will stay suspended in midair for a fraction of a nanosecond before gravity takes over and the quarter drops down into the bottle. The quarter will come to rest when it hits the bottom of the bottle.
Make This A Science Project:
Try putting the quarter on a hoop. Try putting the quarter higher up by balancing it on a ruler. Try bolts or other items. Try stacking several quarters.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!