Build A Barometer Weather Science Experiment
In this fun and easy weather science experiment for kids, we’re going to build a barometer.
- Rubber band
- Snip the neck off of the balloon.
- Stretch the balloon over the mouth of the jar.
- Use the rubber band to hold the balloon in place.
- Now glue the straw to the center of the balloon so that most of the straw hangs over the side of the jar. This will be your pointer.
- Observe your barometer each day.
How it Works:
Air pressure is simply the weight of all the tiny molecules of air pushing down. As the air pressure rises, it will push down on the balloon and the pointer will rise. As the air pressure drops, the balloon will bulge and cause the pointer to point down.
Make This A Science Project:
Try this experiment on sunny days. Try this experiment on stormy days. Try this experiment at different times of the year.