Bug On A Leash
- A piece of string
- Index card
- #64 sized rubber band
- 2 – pencil erasers
- Hole puncher
- Popsicle stick
- Use the hole puncher and make a hole in one end of the popsicle stick.
- Put the string through the hole and tie it securely. Use the stapler to attach the string to the popsicle stick to prevent it from coming off.
- Center the short side of the index card on the popsicle stick. Use three staples to attach the index card to the popsicle stick.
- Place a pencil eraser on each end of the popsicle stick.
- Stretch the rubber band across the popsicle stick so it is wrapped around each pencil eraser.
- Make sure you have a clear area to spin your bug on a leash.
- Slowly spin your bug on a leash until you hear a buzzing sound. You may need to adjust the speed your are spinning to get your bug on a leash to start buzzing.
How it Works:
The rubber band and index cards vibrate to produce a buzzing sound similar to that made by insect wings.
Make This A Science Project:
What happens if you use a different sized stick? What happens if you use a larger index card or piece of paper? What happens if you use a longer or shorter piece of string?