Balloon Powered Water Fountain Science Experiment
In this fun and easy science experiment, we’re going to show you how to use a balloon to power a water fountain.
- Empty 2 liter soda bottle
- Straw – a bendable straw works best
- Sharp nail, pin, or knife
- Tray or wash bin to collect the water
- Optional – food coloring
- Have an adult poke a hole big enough for the straw to just barely fit through. Put the hole about a third of the way from the bottom of the bottle.
- Slide the straw through the hole. Leave about half of the straw sticking out of the bottle.
- Make sure to point the end of the straw up.
- Use the putty to securely seal the area around the straw.
- Place the bottle in the tray.
- Use the funnel to fill the bottle with water until it reaches the level of the straw opening. If you go higher then this the water will come out of the straw.
- Optional – add a drop of food coloring.
- Blow up the balloon. Pinch the balloon but do not tie it closed.
- Stretch the mouth of the balloon over opening of the bottle being sure to keep the balloon pinched closed.
- Release the balloon and observe what happens.
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
The water in the bottle has air pressure pushing down on it. When the balloon is released, the air pressure on top of the water increases. This increased pressure forces the water out of the straw and creates the balloon powered water fountain.
Make This A Science Project:
Try this easy balloon experiment with different sized balloons. Try smaller plastic bottles with bigger balloons. Try different diameter straws like big milkshake straws or small stir stick straws.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!