Awesome Eruption Cool Science Experiment
In this fun and easy experiment, we’re going to make an awesome eruption by creating a chemical reaction. This cool science experiment is literally “cool” as it uses an endothermic chemical reaction to create the awesome eruption. An endothermic chemical reaction absorbs heat from its environment and thus feels cold.
- Baking soda
- Red food coloring
- Empty water bottle
- Liquid dish soap
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Head outside with your materials and find an area that is alright to get messy.
- Fill the plastic water bottle a third of the way full with water and add several drops of red food coloring.
- Pour in 5 teaspoons of baking soda. Swirl the bottle to mix the baking soda and water.
- Add a couple drops of liquid dish soap.
- Brace your bottle and be sure it is stable. You do not want it to fall over during the eruption. For fun you can build a sand or dirt mountain around the bottle. Just be sure not to get any dirt or debris inside the bottle.
- Pour a cup of vinegar into the bottle and stand back.
- Observe and enjoy the huge eruption!
EXPLORE AWESOME SCIENCE EXPERIMENT VIDEOS!
How it Works:
In this endothermic chemical reaction, the vinegar and baking soda react and release carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide quickly builds pressure inside the bottle. The carbon dioxide also causes the liquid dish soap to foam. The carbon dioxide carries the foam with it as it escapes the bottle creating the awesome eruption. Once the awesome eruption is complete, feel the bottom of the bottle. The bottle will feel cool as the endothermic chemical reaction has absorbed the heat from its immediate environment.
Make This A Science Project:
Try different amounts of vinegar. Try different temperatures of water. Try different sized and shaped bottles. Try different amounts of baking soda. Try adding the vinegar to the bottle first and then adding the baking soda.
EXPLORE TONS OF FUN AND EASY SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS!
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A NEW SCIENCE FUN VIDEO!