- A bowl
- ½ cup of milk
- Dish soap
- Cotton swab
- Food Coloring, more than one color
- Pepper (optional)
1. Pour the milk into the bowl. Be careful not to move the bowl, you want the milk as still as possible.
2. Put one drop of each color in different places in the milk.
3. Put just a tiny amount of soap on the end of the cotton swab, then touch it to one of the colors. WOW!
4. Let the experimenting begin!
5. To clean up, just pour the milk down the drain. (Do not drink it)
How it Works:
Milk has fat in it and the food coloring floats on top of the fat. The fat is all connected with bonds. Think of it like the little pieces of fat all holding hands with each other. Dish soaps are used on greasy or oily dishes because it breaks the bonds in fats allowing them to separate. When you add the dish soap to the milk, the fat separates and moves making your magical milk art!
Does the temperature of the milk have any effect?
Try whole milk and skim milk.
Sprinkle pepper on the milk before you add the soap, what happens to the pepper?
Science Fun For Everyone: Science Explorer Kit
You can now enjoy the excitement and educational entertainment of a Science Fun For Everyone Science Camp in the comfort of your own home! The Science Fun For Everyone: Science Explorer kit was designed and hand packed by the scientists at the Science Fun For Everyone laboratories in Cary, North Carolina. Each experiment was specifically chosen to not only educate, but excite. The student will explore chemical reactions, super absorbent polymers, rocks and minerals, weather, space, the oceans, crystals, slime and much much more! Please click here or on the images below to view our science kit on Amazon.