- 1 pinto bean
- 1 Ziploc bag
- 1 paper towel
- Spray bottle for holding water
- Dampen paper towel with spray bottle
- Place wet paper towel in Ziploc Bag
- Place bean on top of wet paper towel
- Close Ziploc Bag
- Place Ziploc Bag in a warm, sunny spot
- Add water to paper towel when it dries out
- Observe your plant growing in 3-5 days!
How it Works:
What’s going on? Germination! That means the plant is sprouting it’s roots. Awesome! Usually, you can’t see the roots sprout when the seed is under soil, but since there is no soil in this experiment you can see the whole process.
- Prepare two bean plants, but put one in a sunny area and one in a dark area. Observe their similarities and differences and chart them down.
- Chart your bean plant’s growth each day using a ruler.
- After 2 weeks, move your bean plant to some soil. Don’t forget to water it and give it some sun!