- 1 Small pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Dish Soap
- Plastic Container
- With parent supervision, clean out pumpkin of all seeds.
- Place pumpkin onto plastic container so that eruption doesn’t cause a big mess.
- Fill pumpkin with 3/4 full of water.
- Add 10 drops of food coloring.
- Add 4-5 drops of dish soap.
- Add 1/4 cup vinegar.
- When you are ready for the Jack-O-Cano to explode, add the baking soda and enjoy!
How it Works:
When you join a base (baking soda) and an acid (vinegar) together you create a chemical reaction where carbon dioxide is created and released. This in a large quantity, creates a bubbly burst or eruption.
- Try doing this same experiment, but instead place a soda bottle inside the pumpkin and fill the bottle up with all of the ingredients. Does the eruption look different? Why do you think that is? Which eruption did you like better?
- What if you add less water. less baking soda, or less vinegar. Does it change the results? Play around with different recipes.
- What do you think the dish soap does for the experiment? Try it without to find out.